Friday, June 3, 2011

I Scream You Scream for Tutti Frutti's Excellent Ice Cream




Well, I think I've done enough whining about the Grand Prix and now that it's all over for another year and all that remains is a bit of hearing loss, it's time to move on to happier things - ice cream!

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of ice cream, both making it and eating it.  My favourite being Green Tea HĂ€agen-Dazs which for some baffling reason is available only in Asia.
 
In France and across the border in Italy there are more ice cream shops than you can count and most of them aren't worth a lick.
The best ice cream around here, aside from Auntie's of course, is made by Mr Richard Gaglio, Glacier or ice cream maker, who is the owner and founder of the Tutti Frutti Ice Cream Shop on the main pedestrian street in Menton.
 
Throughout the summer there are always long lines of tourists and locals alike, all waiting in the summer heat to devour a dish or cone of his fabulous ice cream.  My favourite is chocolate.

His passion and knowledge is obvious after the first lick.  His ice creams are smooth, delicious and creamy.  Second lick and you can tell that he uses only the best ingredients:  fresh cream and milk, high quality natural flavourings like vanilla pods instead of vanilla extract and not too much sugar which I believe should enhance the other flavours not overwhelm them.  I'm always a wee bit suspicious when I taste ice cream that is too sweet.

The flavours he prepares are traditional, not trendy, and he does them very well indeed.

Mr Gaglio put down his scoop for a few minutes and answered some questions about being a Glacier and making everyone happy, one scoop at a time.

How did you learn to be a Glacier?

I became a Glacier by chance when I began working for a master Glacier in 1988. I worked for him until 1997.  He was from a family of Glaciers who had been in the business since 1895.  He didn't have any children so he took me under his wing and taught me the business and how to make ice cream.  When he retired I created my own ice cream business with everything he taught me.    
 
Is Tutti Frutti a family business or are you the first one in your family to become a Glacier?  

I started the Tutti Frutti as a family business in 1998.  My two children and my wife work along side me.  I'm the first in my family to become a Glacier.

Are there any flavours that sell more than others?

The most popular flavours I sell are:  vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, hazelnut, pistachio, lemon and cookie.

What is your philosophy behind making such good ice cream?

My philosophy is simple:   The quality of the ingredients ultimately determines the quality of the end product and a quality product means satisfied customers.

What is your favourite flavour?

I have simple tastes - vanilla!

How has ice cream making technology changed over the years? 

The work methods for making ice cream basically have remained the same over the years but some new products have allowed us to improve the quality of the ice cream.

If you weren't a Glacier, what else would you be doing?

If I weren't a Glacier, I would like to work in the forest. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, tell Auntie what's on your mind...